The Pharmacy Practice Research Award recognizes an outstanding original contribution to the peer-reviewed biomedical literature related to pharmacy practice in hospitals and health systems. The award is given annually to the author(s) of an important contribution of original research relevant to health-system pharmacy practice published during the calendar year preceding the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting at which the Award is presented. This award is not intended to recognize research in drug therapy (See the Drug Therapy Research Award).
Full Application Instructions and Program Details
The recipient of this award receives a $4,000 honorarium or a $3,000 honorarium, an up to $1,000 expense allowance to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting for the award ceremony, and a plaque.
Nomination and Submission Process
The ASHP Foundation promotes this program and solicits nominations and self-nominations through our communication channels and specifically from ASHP component groups (e.g., sections, advisory groups), the editors of AJHP
, and deans of schools/colleges of pharmacy. ASHP members and affiliated state societies may also nominate candidates for this award. Authors may nominate themselves as well.
Submission for this program is initiated by either:
application must be submitted in order for the panel to consider an
individual for the award, irrespective of the initial nomination.
- Nomination: a recommendation from your peers submitted through an online survey or,
- Self-nomination through the online application system
• The author must be a pharmacist;
• The applicant must be either the first, corresponding, or senior author listed on the nominated article; and
• The applicant must have participated in each of the following:
To be eligible for this award, the applicant must meet all three of these conditions.
- Substantial contributions to conception and design, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data; and
- Drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content; and
- Final approval of the version to be published
• The article submitted for the Pharmacy Practice Research Award must have been published in a PubMed-indexed, peer-reviewed biomedical journal in the 2016 calendar year (January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016).
• Print or electronic articles that were published in 2016 are eligible for consideration.
• Articles that were published electronically in 2015 and in print in 2016 are not eligible for consideration if the electronic version was submitted for consideration in the 2016 Literature Awards Program cycle.
The ASHP Foundation reserves the right to change the categorization for submitted articles at the discretion of ASHP Foundation staff and external reviewers. For example, an article submitted for the Award for Innovation in Pharmacy Practice could be re-classified to the Pharmacy Practice Research Award category.
Complete applications will be reviewed by members of a review panel appointed by the ASHP Foundation Board of Directors.
The recipient of the award will be notified after the review is completed, and a public announcement of the recipient will be made prior to the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Awards are formally presented during the Literature Awards Breakfast at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting.
Learn more about awardees chosen this year and from previous years.