Supported by an educational donation provided by Pfizer to the David A. Zilz Leaders for the Future Fund
What is the Visiting Leaders Program?
The Visiting Leaders Program is designed specifically for pharmacy residents as a highly valued opportunity for interactive leadership skill building on a personal basis with a prominent health-system leader. The program brings a distinguished health-system pharmacy leader to the residents’ institution for up to a 2-day period to explore leadership topics matching the residents’ specific leadership interests.
Residents can expect this program to challenge them to lead, develop a career plan and learn how to be successful in today’s complex pharmacy and health care environment.
The Visiting Leaders Program brings a visiting leader to engage with six or more residents, providing them with a personal connection to a noted health system leader.
The Visiting Leaders Program supports the travel and local expenses of the visiting leader. The host institution is responsible for any local expenses associated with the visit. We encourage host institutions to consider inviting other residents from the area to attend a portion of the program.
In 2012, the Visiting Leaders Program completed 22 visits involving more than 500 residents. We invite directors of pharmacy and residency program directors to submit a request for participation in the 2013 program using the electronic form below.
Visiting Leaders Program Objectives
The objectives of the Visiting Leaders Program are as follows:
1. For pharmacy residents to engage with established health-system pharmacy leaders.
2. To inspire and challenge residents to become leaders.
3. To discuss strategies for leadership development with the preceptor/leadership team.
4. To discuss with the leadership team their practice issues.
5. To discuss opportunities/future plans for residency program enhancement.
The following is a sample schedule (for demonstration purposes):
• Visiting Leader travels to the resident site.
• Visiting Leader gives a presentation to the host and invited residents focusing on a leadership topic of primary interest to residents.
• After the presentation, residents break into small groups to discuss a key issue or topic introduced during the presentation.
• The Visiting Leader leads a report-out session from the residents’ group discussions.
• Host residency institution sponsors a dinner with the residents and Visiting Leader.
• Visiting Leader meets with host residents as a group, followed by individual mentoring sessions.
• Visiting Leader meets with director of pharmacy, program director and preceptors, as appropriate.
• Visiting Leader tours host facility with director of pharmacy and residents.
• Visiting Leader departs from resident site.
Who Are the Visiting Leaders?
A cadre of health-system pharmacy leaders’ most recognized names is the core component of the program. Each member has in his or her own right built a career of health-system pharmacy excellence and brings an exceptional level of leadership expertise to the table. Click on the leaders’ names below to learn more about each one.
Visiting Leaders and Biographies
• Daniel M. Ashby, M.S., FASHP
• Toby Clark, M.Sc., FASHP
• Harold N. Godwin, M.S., FASHP, FAPhA
• Marianne F. Ivey, Pharm.D., M.P.H., FASHP
• Douglas E. Miller, Pharm.D.
• Max D. Ray, Pharm.D.
• Philip J. Schneider, M.S., FASHP
• William E. Smith, Pharm.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., FASHP
• Thomas S. Thielke, B.S.Pharm., M.S., FASHP
• Sara J White, M.S., FASHP
• Billy Woodward, B.S.Pharm.
• David A. Zilz, M.S.
How to Request a Visiting Leader
Directors of pharmacy and/or residency program directors are invited to make a request to participate in the Visiting Leaders Program by completing the electronic form below. (Please be aware that the requester will be asked to enter details about the residency program and any other local/regional residency programs that might be invited to participate in the requested visit. In order to better prepare for the information you have to provide, you can preview a PDF of the survey here.)
• Visiting Leaders Program Request Form
Host Site Guide
For guidance on hosting a Visiting Leader, please refer to the Visiting Leader Host Guide for outlines and suggestions for a successful event.
Sites Selected for 2013
Several sites have scheduled visits in 2013 already. To see details of these visits, click here.
Past Site Visits
• 2012 Visiting Leaders Site Visits and Site Visit Photos
Questions about this program should be referred to Brandi Goswick, Senior Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or 301-664-8868.