The Award for Innovation in Pharmacy Practice is for an outstanding contribution to the biomedical literature that describes an innovation in pharmacy practice in hospitals or health systems. The award is given annually to the author(s) of the most noteworthy contribution to the literature describing an innovative pharmacy practice in hospitals or health systems published during the calendar year preceding the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting at which the Award is presented.
The recipient of this award receives a $4,000 honorarium or a $3,000 honorarium, an up to $1,000 expense allowance to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting for the award ceremony, and a plaque.
Nomination and Submission Process
The ASHP Foundation promotes this program and solicits nominations and self-nominations through our communication channels and specifically from ASHP component groups (e.g., sections, advisory groups), the editors of AJHP
, and deans of schools/colleges of pharmacy. ASHP members and affiliated state societies may also nominate candidates for this award. Authors may nominate themselves as well.
Submission for this program is initiated by either:
1. Nomination: a recommendation from your peers submitted through an online survey
2. Self-nomination through the online application system
application must be submitted in order for the panel to consider an
individual for the award, irrespective of the initial nomination.
• The author must be a pharmacist;
• The applicant must be either the first, corresponding or senior author listed on the nominated article; and
• The applicant must have participated in each of the following:
To be eligible for this award, all conditions must be met.
- Substantial contributions to conception and design, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data; and
- Drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content; and
- Final approval of the version to be published.
• The article submitted for the Award for Innovations in Pharmacy Practice must have been published in a PubMed-indexed, peer-reviewed biomedical journal in the 2016 calendar year (January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016). Print or electronic articles that were published in 2015 are eligible for consideration.
• Articles that were published electronically in 2015 and in print in 2016 are not eligible for consideration if the electronic version was submitted for consideration in the 2016 Literature Awards Program cycle.
The ASHP Foundation reserves the right to change the categorization for submitted articles at the discretion of ASHP Foundation staff and external reviewers. For example, an article submitted for the Award for Innovation in Pharmacy Practice category could be re-classified to the Pharmacy Practice Research Award category.
Complete applications will be reviewed by members of a review panel appointed by the ASHP Foundation Board of Directors.
The recipient of the award will be notified after the review is completed, and a public announcement of the recipient will be made prior to the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Awards are formally presented during the Literature Awards Breakfast at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting.
Learn more about awardees chosen this year and from previous years.